- “Quasar“, a poem by Triin Paja, which appears in Issue 14, has been nominated for the Rhysling award of the Science Fiction Poetry Association (sfpoetry.com). The Rhysling is awarded to the best long and short speculative poems first published in the previous calendar year. (Speculative literature is science fiction, fantasy, or supernatural horror.)
- Did you know? Cleaver is now accepting travel essays and radio plays! For travel essays, query Lillian Brown. For radio plays, use our submissions manager.
- Cleaver is thrilled to receive operating support grants from The Philadelphia Cultural Fund and Kelly Writers House for the third consecutive year. Thanks so much for helping us thwack!
- Congrats to Cleaver editor Ava Van der Meer, whose review of the novel On the Run With Mary by Jonathan Barrow won a top prize in the University of Pennsylvania’s annual creative writing competition!
- What’s INSIDE CLEAVER? Read about it in The Pennsylvania Gazette.
- Read an interview with Cleaver founding editor Karen Rile in The Review Review!
- Cleaver is thrilled to announce two finalists (Gerri Brightwell, “My Promotion“, Issue No. 11 and Doug Ramspeck, “Dog Memories“, Issue No. 12) and one semi-finalist, Mercedes Lawry, “Was There Transposition?“, Issue No. 10) in THE BEST SMALL FICTIONS, 2016!
- Hear the Imagine Otherwise podcast featuring Cleaver poetry editor Lauren Rile Smith.
- “Just read” by Rebecca Lambright, from Issue No. 9,”Synesthesia and You” by Charnell Peters from Issue No. 10, and “Birdshot” by Michal Liebowitz & “Voltage” by Kylie Lee Baker, both from Issue No. 11, have been selected for republication by plain china, a national literary anthology that showcases the best undergraduate writing from across the country.
- “Believers” by Elizabeth Mosier from Issue No. 6 , “Space and Time“ by Amelia Fowler from Issue No. 7, & “Marked“ by William Bradley from Issue No. 8 have all been named Notable Essays by The Best American Essays, 2015
- Read this terrific interview with Cleaver Poetry editor Lauren Rile Smith in the Philadelphia Gay News.
- Cleaver gets a PUSHCART special mention for Anthony Wallace’s story “Do Not Use Quotation Marks to Indicate Irony”, published in Issue No. 3, September 2013!
- Cleaver makes a “top ten” list on this reviewer’s blog. (Note: our acceptance list is lower than reported for unsolicited manuscripts.)
- Read an interview with poetry editor/acrobat Lauren Rile Smith in the Philly Fringe Arts Blog.
- Read an interview with fiction reviews editor Nathaniel Popkin by ArtsBlog critic Roberta Fallon.
- Read an interview with editor Karen Rile in the Penn Gazette ARTS BLOG.
- Read Nathaniel Popkin’s interview on Bookmarked.
- Read our ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (w00t!) review in The Review Review.
- Read an interview with editor Karen Rile on Duotrope.
- For a behind-the-curtain peek at Cleaver, read the RileSmith Arts Blog.
- Read a review of Cleaver’s .5 All Flash Preview Issue in New Pages.
- Read an interview with editor Karen Rile in Poetdelphia.
PUBLICISTS: Query us for book reviews of poetry, literary fiction, and creative nonfiction.
Literary-related advertisers appear on Cleaver through the Litbreaker network.
Cleaver is proud to be a member of CLMP, the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses.